Posted: June 16, 2017
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the next phase of growth for a 45- year-old civil rights organization on the front lines of racial, economic and immigrant justice.
The Deputy Director will be a dynamic, talented nonprofit leader who is committed to strengthening the organization and the impact of its work in these challenging times. The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director, the staff and the Board of Directors to advance local and national organizational strategy.
This position will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from program management to overall organizational administration (information technology, reporting, facilities management), and human capital (HR/recruiting, mentoring, career progression).
Program, Management, and Stakeholder/Partner Relations/Management
- Oversee programs and work with the Executive Director and the staff to help create the strategic direction of the organization;
- Supervise program staff, communications staff and government contracts manager;
- Represent Advancing Justice-ALC in the national Advancing Justice affiliation;
- Work with the staff to evaluate the impact of legal services, policy advocacy, communications and community empowerment strategies;
- Manage all government contracts for legal services totaling more than $900,000 this fiscal year;
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications;
- Partner with the Executive Director to support relationship building with external stakeholders including coalition partners, government officials, funders and the press.
Organizational Growth, Sustainability, Support
- Partner with the ED in essential internal organizational leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning);
- Structure and lead teams to deliver outstanding organizational work;
- Manage increasing segments of information technology, human resources (recruiting, reviews, staff deployment/workload balancing, career progression) with related internal communications;
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs, budget realities, and opportunities;
- Mentor, coach and be a visible, approachable sounding board/resource for junior staff.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- BA/JD preferred;
- Be a seasoned nonprofit professional (10+ years) with significant experience in supervising staff, leading projects and strategic initiatives, preferably in a legal setting;
- Experience in the social justice field and knowledge of civil rights issues impacting low-income API communities;
- Outstanding analytical, communication and interpersonal skills are essential;
- Track record of delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles;
- Proven ability to work with efficiency and flexibility;
- Passionate about Advancing Justice- ALC’s mission and impact;
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings;
- Exceptionally strong problem-solving skills and the demonstrated ability to pivot in the face of sometimes rapidly changing priorities.
Application Process: Interested candidates should e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: resume and cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications and experience. Kindly put “Application – Deputy Director” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please submit materials in PDF format. No phone calls, please.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious affiliation.