Posted: January 23, 2019
Application Deadline: February 22, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Non-exempt, Part-time Position (16-24 hours per week)
Please apply by 02/22/2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice – ALC) seeks a part-time Bookkeeper. This position is well-suited to individuals who are interested in non-profit financial work enabling front line social justice work. The Bookkeeper will learn and use existing organizational financial procedures that supports staff work with clients and the community. The Bookkeeper works closely with and reports to the Director of Finance & Administration.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Criminal Justice Reform, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first API undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the nonprofit’s budget
- Maintaining and reconciling the general ledger
- Processing all disbursements including reimbursements, invoices and credit card bills by allocating expenses to corresponding funding sources
- Preparing biweekly payroll, including tracking staff hours and checking timecards on ADP
- Providing assistance in preparation of financial reports, the annual audit, and tax returns
- Creating invoices and monitoring receivables
- Processing all receipts including bank deposits and credit card transactions.
- Inputting employee retirement contributions
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree in Accounting
- Two years of nonprofit accounting experience
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately and efficiently
- Ability to follow instructions
- Willingness to ask questions if information seems unclear, counter-intuitive, or contrary to previous instructions
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and complete assignments on time
- Good communication (verbal and written)
- Good time management skills
- Ability to maintain databases, records, and files
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of online payroll platforms (ADP preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice – ALC offers pro-rated benefits to qualified, part-time employees.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the position (as PDF attachments) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2019. Please indicate “Bookkeeper” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.