Posted: April 8, 2020
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time position
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (ALC) is expanding its team to meet the growing needs of our communities at this critical moment in progressive movement building. Advancing Justice-ALC seeks a creative, dynamic team player with communications experience to fill the position of Communications Manager. The Communications Manager will help play a key role in executing the organization’s priorities and managing media relations across programs. The Communications Manager works under the supervision of the Communications Director and in close collaboration with other senior staff members.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on the front lines of social justice at a leading civil rights organization. Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s first legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has provided immigration legal services, litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark immigrant rights policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Criminal Justice Reform, Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, and Voting Rights. A growing staff provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn and collaborate with other program areas. Advancing Justice – ALC works closely with our Advancing Justice partners in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C., to strengthen and elevate a national API voice for civil rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Communications: Support short- and long-term communications goals, and ensure messaging incorporation across all channels. Determine ideal communications channels and tactics for distributing news, promoting advocacy campaigns, publicizing events, broadening audiences, and making civil rights accessible and relevant.
- Media Relations: Manage media relations, including story development, print and broadcast media targeting, pitching, and relationship management. Plan proactive media campaigns and outreach, as well as rapid-response work in reaction to breaking news. Monitor the media for opportunities to engage.
- Digital Communications: Manage the online presence of the Advancing Justice – ALC, generating and supervising engaging creative content. Implement long- and short-term strategies for the Advancing Justice – ALC use of email, social media, web, video, and other emerging communications technologies.
- Campaigns & Outreach: Further the work of issue-oriented advocacy campaigns through communications, including through long-term, large-scale projects. Identify and manage opportunities for community outreach at events, fairs, forums, and engagements that will broadly and strategically communicate the mission of the Advancing Justice – ALC and engage the community.
- Writing, Editing and Collateral Production: Review and/or draft a range of documents and resources—both print and online—for media, public education and community outreach, fundraising, and other purposes. Oversee production of annual reports, educational materials, brochures, fact sheets, and materials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Communications Director.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or another advanced degree required in a related field
- Experience in ALC’s areas of work—especially immigrant rights, criminal justice reform, or policy—preferred, but not necessary
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong, demonstrable commitment to social, racial, and socioeconomic justice
- Five or more (5+) years of professional communications, public relations, and marketing experience. Agency and in-house experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in managing communications, media relations, and marketing programs to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Strong project management skills, a high level of energy, and self-motivated
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work, including the ability to work collaboratively
- Photoshop and/or other Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. The starting salary is $70K and is based on experience. A full benefits package is included.
Interested candidates should email the following to email@example.com: resume; cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications, and experience; three writing samples; and three references. Kindly put “Application – Communications Manager” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please submit materials in PDF format. No phone calls, please.
Advancing Justice–ALC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.