Posted: December 9, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time position
*Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.*
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks a full-time Deputy Director. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, talented nonprofit leader who is committed to strengthening the organization and the impact of its work in these challenging times. The successful candidate will work closely within an Executive Team comprised of the Executive Director and the Director of Human Resources & Administration, as well as with the staff and the Board of Directors to advance local and national organizational strategy.
This position holds both internal and external facing responsibilities, including representing the agency at funder and community partner meetings; program and resource management; human capital management (hiring, training, mentoring, career progression); grant reporting; and, overall organizational administration.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation, all with the goal of furthering the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Voting Rights and Census,
Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first Asian and Pacific Islander undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn from other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this multifaceted leadership role. They include the following:
Program Management and Stakeholder/Partner Relations/Management
- Overseeing programs and working with the Executive Director and staff to create and sustain the strategic direction of the organization
- Working with the Director of Human Resources & Administration to set internal policies and procedures, and assess and meet staff training needs
- Supervising program staff, communications staff, and government contracts manager
- Representing Advancing Justice – ALC in the national Advancing Justice affiliation
- Working with the staff to evaluate the impact of legal services, policy advocacy, communications, and community empowerment strategies
- Managing all government contracts for legal services
- Sharing in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications
- Partnering with the Executive Director to support relationship building with external stakeholders including coalition partners, government officials, funders, and the press
Organizational Growth, Sustainability, Support
- Partnering with the Executive Team in essential internal organizational planning and leadership activities
- Structuring and leading teams to deliver outstanding organizational work
- Managing contract deliverables and reporting, staff deployment, workload balancing, and career progression with related internal communications
- Identifying best practices and improving internal systems with an eye toward future needs, budget realities, and opportunities
- Mentoring, coaching, and serving as a visible, approachable sounding board/resource for junior staff
- BA with graduate degree required
- JD, with bar admittance in California, strongly preferred
- 10+ years of nonprofit professional experience, including supervising staff, leading projects and strategic initiatives, preferably in a legal setting;
- Experience in the social justice field and knowledge of civil rights issues impacting low-income API communities;
- Outstanding analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Track record of delivering superior results, earning respect, and assuming leadership roles
- Proven ability to work with efficiency and flexibility
- Passion for Advancing Justice – ALC’s mission and impact
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings
- Exceptionally strong problem-solving skills and the demonstrated ability to pivot in the face of a rapidly changing work context and priorities
Compensation and Benefits
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. The salary is based on experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a generous benefits package that includes full individual health, dental, and vision plan coverage, life insurance, and a 401 k plan.
Interested candidates should submit via email to email@example.com (as PDF attachments), including the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Writing sample (no more than 10 pages, excerpts of larger documents acceptable)
- Three professional references
Please indicate “Deputy Director” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, height, weight, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.