Posted: October 1, 2018
Development Volunteer – Fall/Winter 2019
As the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Asian Americans Advancing Justice—Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) is a leader in defending the interests of low-income immigrants. Since 1972, Advancing Justice-ALC has litigated high-profile cases and provided an array of services including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation. Our current program areas include ASPIRE, National Security and Civil Rights, Immigrant Rights, Workers’ Rights, Housing Rights, Voting Rights and Criminal Justice Reform.
Advancing Justice – ALC is seeking a volunteer to primarily assist our Development staff with special events, individual giving, and other fundraising-related tasks. This is an exciting opportunity to engage in fundraising for a civil rights organization, and learn about nonprofit fund development and finance.
The volunteer will gain resume-building skills such as event planning, fundraising, grant writing, and technical skills in Salesforce, Word, and Excel. In addition, the volunteer will be exposed to our seven program areas and have the opportunity to learn about social justice and civil rights law.
50th Anniversary Dinner
- Assist in archiving historical documents and materials related to ALC
- Research key ALC alumni
- Assist in coordinating video interviews of key ALC alumni
- Update Salesforce database with alumni information
Annual Dinner/Special Events
Assist in trivia event that includes:
- Follow up with prospective trivia players and team captains
- Assist in shopping of materials for the event
- Assist in soliciting in-kind donations and sponsorships for the event
- Prepare decorations, signage, and other materials for the event
- Volunteer at trivia event on October 19, 2019
Assist in silent auction that includes:
- Research and solicit in-kind donations for silent auction
- Follow up with donor prospects for silent auction
- Prepare bid sheets, descriptions, and other materials for silent auction
- Assist in mailing of acknowledgement letters and appeals
- Assist in data entry of donors and donations in Salesforce
- Research alumni and donor prospects
- Research and learn about fundraising strategies and platforms
- File and organize financial documents
- Other clerical tasks as needed
When: Fall/Winter 2019 (September to December). End date can be extended.
Schedule: Daytime – 8 to 16 hours a week for 3 to 4 months’ commitment. Must be available on Saturday, October 19, 2019, 4 -10 pm for our Trivia event. Occasional evenings and Saturdays (optional).
Perks: Volunteer will receive exclusive Advancing Justice – ALC swag and eternal gratitude. They will also have the opportunity to receive college/education credits and letter of recommendation.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Casey Tran, Development Associate at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.