Posted: July 12, 2019
Director of Communications
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time position
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks a full-time Director of Communications. This new communications role is strategic and has a strong emphasis on communications framing, strategy, and brand management. The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. The Director of Communications will be responsible for managing all communications, planning activities and campaigns, and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including funders and the media. Reporting to the Executive Director, this role will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the Advancing Justice- Asian Law Caucus mission. The Director of Communications will ensure the organization is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within social justice networks and it’s constituent base.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for managing all communications, planning activities and campaigns, and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including funders and the media. Reporting to the Executive Director, this role will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the Advancing Justice- Asian Law Caucus mission. The Director of Communications will ensure the organization is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within social justice networks and it’s constituent base.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972,
Advancing Justice – ALC has preserved affordable housing in San Francisco’s Chinatown, litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes,
and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first Asian and Pacific Islander undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the network’s discreet audiences in collaboration with the Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus team and constituents. Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and the Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus website
- Mentor and lead communications team members responsible for the Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus website’s administration and coordination
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, and website
- Coordinate and organize activities and events that engage the network’s discrete audiences
- Manage all media contacts
- At least 10 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications.
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Strong program management
- Highly collaborative style
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies, including big-picture framing
- The ability to balance national and statewide strategies and perspectives while maintaining roots in local community work
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills, and a strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently, including longer-term organizational campaigns
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a generous benefit package that includes full individual health, dental, and vision plan coverage, life insurance, and a 401 k plan.
Interested candidates should submit via email to email@example.com (as PDF attachments), including the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Writing sample (no more than 5 pages)
- Three professional references
Please indicate “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation. While an understanding of narratives surrounding API communities is important to the Communications Director role, candidates need not themselves be of the API community.