Posted: December 9, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Full-time, Non-Exempt position
*Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.*
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice – ALC) seeks a full-time Senior Executive Assistant. Working under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this key position supports an executive leadership team of three to advance the organization’s goals. This position calls for a highly organized individual with strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills who is a highly resourceful team player, with the ability to be effective independently.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first Asian and Pacific Islander undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn and collaborate across program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Working closely with the Executive Director to keep her informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately
- Planning and coordinating a variety of administrative tasks including managing calendars, reports, correspondence, materials preparation, proofreading, editing, arranging meetings, setting agendas, and compiling document packets
- Communicating directly, and on behalf of the Executive Director, with Board members, donors, and others, on matters related to the Executive Director’s portfolio. Working closely with the Development team to support the Executive Directo’s fundraising role
- Researching, prioritizing, and following up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Executive Director, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determining the appropriate course of action, referral, or response
- Supporting the Board of Directors with administrative tasks which may include: preparing and sending board packets, meeting agenda support, and scheduling of board committee meetings
- Assisting with strategic initiatives under the direction of the Executive Director.
- Additional duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of executive and/or administrative experience
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership, and fundraising
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board, external partners and donors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Approaches problem-solving proactively and demonstrates strong judgment and decision-making capability
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also work independently and problem-solve
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Commitment to social justice
- Proficient in MS Office, Google Suite, Asana, Salesforce, and other technology platforms
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary is based on experience and principles of internal equity. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
Interested candidates should e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: resume; cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications, and experience; writing sample; and, three references. Kindly put “Executive Assistant” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please submit materials in PDF format. No phone calls, please.
Advancing Justice – ALC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.