Posted: April 12, 2019
Application Deadline: June 15, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Please apply by 6/15/2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice – ALC) seeks a full-time Full Charge Bookkeeper. This position is well suited to individuals who are interested in applying their financial skills in a non-profit setting that supports cutting-edge social justice work. The Full Charge Bookkeeper approaches their financial responsibilities with rigor, attention to detail and humility. The successful candidate will learn and use existing organizational financial procedures to support Advancing Justice – ALC’s work with clients and the community. The Full Charge Bookkeeper works closely with and reports to the Director of Finance & Administration.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Criminal Justice Reform, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first API undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Timely processing of disbursements including reimbursements, invoices and credit card bills by allocating expenses to corresponding funding sources
- Processing weekly deposit, including bank deposits and credit card transactions
- Creating invoices and monitoring receivables
- Performing payroll administration duties, including tracking staff hours and checking timecards on ADP
- Entering and processing employees 401K contribution
- Providing assistance in preparation annual agency audit, and tax returns
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the agency’s annual budget
- Assisting in creating, reviewing, and auditing financial reports on regular basis
- Assisting with building, implementing and maintaining effective financial systems
- Providing training and assisting employees on adopting new systems.
- Adhering to organization’s financial policies and procedures and ensure that we are in compliance with all administrative and financial aspects of our funders
- Preparing and filing financial records, including bank statements, financial statements, payroll reports
- Other duties as assigned
- An Associate’s Degree or higher in Accounting
- At least two years of nonprofit accounting experience
- Strong PC skills including Excel, Word and QuickBooks
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience and familiarity working in a nonprofit finance setting
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately and efficiently
- Ability to follow instructions
- Willingness to ask questions when information seems unclear, counter-intuitive, or contrary to previous instructions
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and complete assignments on time
- Good communication (verbal and written)
- Good time management skills
- Ability to maintain databases, records, and files
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of online payroll platforms (ADP preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice – ALC offers pro-rated benefits to qualified, part-time employees.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the position (as PDF attachments) by email to email@example.com by June 15, 2019. Please indicate “Full Charge Bookkeeper” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.