Posted: May 30, 2019
Application Deadline: June 30, 2019
Immigration Staff Attorney(s)
Applications due June 30, 2019
An exciting opportunity to work on the front lines of deportation defense at a leading civil rights organization. Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Since 1972, Advancing Justice-ALC has worked with diverse local communities through direct representation and community education. This community work has led to high-profile litigation and local, state, and federal policy advocacy. Our current program areas include Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, Housing Rights, National Security and Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE.
Position Summary: Advancing Justice-ALC is recruiting two staff attorneys to advocate for immigrants in detention. The attorneys’ primary focus will be providing direct legal services to immigrants who are detained and facing deportation. Advancing Justice-ALC utilizes a multi-prong approach combining direct legal services with impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community empowerment. The attorney will also have opportunities to participate in litigation, advocacy, and anti-deportation campaigns. The attorney will work closely with the existing team of four experienced immigration attorneys.
- Manage active caseload of detained clients and provide high-quality legal representation ranging from removal defense in immigration court to appellate work, motions to reopen, and requests for release from custody
- Provide legal advice to detained immigrants through visits to detention facilities, phone calls, and letters
- Identify systemic problems through direct services work and participate in resulting litigation and advocacy efforts
- Provide legal advice and limited services to clients attending immigration clinics
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the rights of low-income, API, people of color, senior, people with disabilities, and/or immigrant communities
- Three years of immigration law experience, particularly removal and criminal-immigration defense experience, highly preferred
- Fluency or a high level of proficiency in Spanish or an API language, preferred
- Excellent research, analytical, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of mission-driven lawyers and staff with a range of substantive law knowledge, experience and expertise
- Highly motivated and self-starting
- B.A./B.S. and J.D. degrees with membership in good standing with a State Bar (California preferred)
- Ability to travel to northern California immigration detention facilities, primarily in Marysville, California and Bakersfield, California.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with the possibility of renewal. Salary is based on experience and principles of internal equity.
Interested candidates should submit via email a cover letter and resume summarizing interest, qualifications and experience; a writing sample (no more than ten pages); and three references to email@example.com. Please write Immigration Staff Attorney in the subject line and submit materials in PDF format.
Please no phone calls. Applicants will be required to take a short, open-book, practical exam covering basic removal defense topics at their first interview.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled. Advancing Justice-ALC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.