Posted: May 10, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time position
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks a full-time Litigation Director. This role leads Advancing Justice-ALC’s emerging impact litigation strategy, guiding its direction and coordinating within our three-prong approach, which combines community engagement, direct legal services, and impact litigation. This approach focuses on less visible–highly vulnerable–community members, enabling the organization to detect and respond to community legal issues more immediately and with great impact. The Litigation Director works closely with a senior peer group within the organization to ensure litigation activities grow and align with strategic direction. Advancing Justice-ALC seeks an experienced litigator who enjoys working highly collaboratively and who can mentor and support our growing legal staff. The role also represents organizational interests in co-counseling and other collaborative work, and develops pro bono attorney relationships.
Advancing Justice-ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice-ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first Asian and Pacific Islander undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn and collaborate across program areas.
Advancing Justice-ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Guide strategic direction of agency impact litigation and coordinate its fit within broader agency work
- Maintain an active caseload involving complex litigation
- Develop and coordinate system for supervising legal work, professional development, and training of attorneys and other program staff
- Direct, train, and evaluate performance of attorneys and other program staff
- Assist and mentor attorneys in trial preparation and development of expertise
- Assist and supervise attorneys in developing impact litigation and other strategies to address problems faced by Advancing Justice-ALC clients
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships with ally community organizations, legal services providers, and law firms
- Build and litigate impact cases, including class actions, in state and federal court
Advancing Justice-ALC seeks many qualifications for this position, acknowledging that a successful candidate may hold some but not necessarily all of the following:
- J.D. degree and California bar membership
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the rights of low-income, people of color, immigrant, or worker communities
- Ten to fifteen (10-15) years state or federal court litigation experience, including taking and defending depositions, law and motion work, and discovery
- Excellent research, analytical, written, and oral communication skills
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Experience managing and mentoring attorneys and program staff
- Experience with coalition building, policy advocacy, and community-centered lawyering
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (as PDF attachments) the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Writing sample (no more than 10 pages)
- Three professional references
Please indicate “Litigation Director” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice-ALC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.