Posted: January 17, 2019
Application Deadline: February 22, 2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time Position
Please apply by 02/22/2019
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice – ALC) seeks a full-time Operations Manager. This position is well-suited to individuals who enjoy a wide variety of organizational tasks enabling front line social justice work. The Office Manager creates an effective, efficient, and comfortable workplace that supports staff and work with clients and the community. This work includes: human resources; facilities; determining and meeting staff and organizational needs; and creating and improving organizational systems and procedures. The Office Manager works closely with and reports to the Director of Human Resources & Administration.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Criminal Justice Reform, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first API undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Onsite, day-to-day office management of Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus facilities at 55 Columbus Avenue in San Francisco
- Development, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of office procedures to ensure the smooth functioning of office (e.g. building systems, technology, reception, common resources, maintenance, safety, emergency)
- Recruiting for talent for open positions, including posting, coordinating screening, scheduling interviews, new hire paperwork, orientation, and on-boarding
- Maintaining complete, up-to-date, and confidential personnel files
- Processing HR-related paperwork: benefits, workers’ compensation, leave requests, return-to-work program, etc.
- Coordinating timesheet in preparation of bi-weekly payrolls and process payrolls
- Workspace setup and onboarding of new employees
- Supervising vendor and contractor work
- Liaising and representing agency needs to the property management.
- Managing internal trainings and meetings (e.g. scheduling, room setup, agenda setting, note-taking)
- Ensuring equipment is maintained and functional, conducting minor repairs or ordering repairs as needed
- Monitoring and ordering main office supplies
- Responding to all internal requests, questions, and issues in a timely manner
- Modeling and contributing to a friendly and professional work environment
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university
- Four years of experience providing operations support
- Strong understanding of operations, technology and facilities management
- Understanding of or interest to learn human resources, including local, state and federal labor laws and regulations, employee benefit plans, and workers’ compensation.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and complete assignments on time
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good communication (verbal and written)
- Good time management skills
- Meeting presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to maintain databases, records, and files
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of online payroll platforms (ADP preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. The salary ranges is $65-$73K. Advancing Justice – ALC offer a generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the position (as PDF attachments) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2019. Please indicate “Operations Manager” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.