Posted: February 28, 2019
Staff Attorney, Housing Rights Program
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Based in San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full-time position
*Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.*
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC) seeks a full-time Staff Attorney for its Housing Rights Program. The Housing Rights Staff Attorney will provide direct services, litigation, public policy, and community outreach. This position is an integral member of our Housing Rights team, which adopts a multi-pronged approach to housing defense. The program provides holistic, community legal services to low-income residents in gateway communities for new immigrants, where tenants face displacement due to gentrification and other economic pressures. Through its housing clinics, Advancing Justice-ALC provides direct client representation to individuals and families who face eviction and other issues that threaten their housing. The program also outreaches to community groups to provide know-your-rights education and support local, grassroots efforts to implement just and equitable housing policy. Staff work closely with tenants and grassroots advocates to use impact litigation to effect systemic changes in buildings and neighborhoods.
Advancing Justice – ALC is the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on advancing and defending the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (APIs). Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC has preserved affordable housing in San Francisco’s Chinatown, litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Housing Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, National Security & Civil Rights, Workers’ Rights, Voting Rights, and ASPIRE, the country’s first Asian and Pacific Islander undocumented youth leadership program. A growing staff of 40 provide strong collegial support and opportunities to learn and collaborate with other program areas.
Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism. Our location in Chinatown is the first mixed-use, affordable housing co-op in San Francisco, serving as a model for preserving affordable housing in the city and protecting tenants’ rights.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Direct Services
- Providing full-scope representation to tenants in unlawful detainer proceedings and administrative hearings
- Conducting or supervising intakes and providing legal advice and counsel to tenants in our housing clinics
- Engaging in motion practice and litigation for unlawful detainer cases as needed
- Supporting impact litigation cases–including multi-tenant and building-wide housing cases–as they arise
- Public Policy
- Developing policy analysis for community partners around housing issues that impact low-income tenants
- Community Outreach
- Working with our Community Advocates to build relationships with grassroot community partners who support tenants and/or do anti-displacement work
- Supporting Know Your Rights trainings and other community legal education to the tenant community
- J.D. degree and California bar membership
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the rights of low-income, people of color, immigrant, or worker communities
- Litigation experience and substantive legal experience in housing law (not required)
- Previous experience with direct services, litigation, public policy, community advocacy, and community-centered lawyering in housing law
- Excellent research, analytical, written, and oral communication skills
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Fluency in a non-English language
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (as PDF attachments), including the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Legal writing sample (no more than 10 pages)
- Three professional references
Please indicate “Staff Attorney, Housing Rights” in the subject line.
Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.