Posted: September 13, 2021
Voting Rights Legal Fellow (Post-Graduate)
Administered by Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
Exempt, Full-time, Remote, Travel required
Temporary – Two-Year Term
The Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation immediately seeks a full-time (40 hours per week) Voting Rights Legal Fellow to support its national voting rights project, with dedicated responsibilities in Chicago and the Midwest. This position may be located remotely and reports to the Director of Affiliation Voting Rights Strategy, is administered by Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus, and jointly supervised by Asians Americans Advancing Justice-Chicago.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Advancing Justice) is a national affiliation of five civil rights nonprofit organizations:
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian American Justice Center;
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Atlanta;
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles,
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Chicago (Advancing Justice-Chicago); and,
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (Advancing Justice-ALC).
Although independently led, operated, and funded—the affiliates share a common mission to promote a fair and equitable society for all by working for civil and human rights that empower Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and other underserved communities. The Affiliation Voting Rights Strategy is a joint project to increase voting rights advocacy, including litigation, in strategically selected Asian and Pacific Islander communities across the country.
Advancing Justice-ALC will manage this position. Since 1972, Advancing Justice – ALC , our nation’s first and oldest Asian American legal advocacy center, has litigated high-profile civil rights cases, advocated for the passage of landmark policy changes, and provided an array of services, including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation, to further the rights of low-income immigrants and communities of color. Current program areas include Voting Rights, Workers’ Rights, Immigrant Rights, Housing Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, and National Security & Civil Rights. A growing staff of 45+ provides strong collegial support and opportunities to learn about and collaborate with other program areas. Advancing Justice – ALC is based in San Francisco, a hub of the Asian American rights movement, progressive politics, and social justice activism.
Advancing Justice – Chicago will jointly supervise and co-host this position. For nearly 30 years, Advancing Justice-Chicago has worked to bring together the Asian American community and create change in our communities. Advancing Justice-Chicago is deeply committed to grassroots community organizing and invests in the leadership of grassroots community members through trainings, community education, civic engagement, and collaborative issue-based campaigns. In order to transform inequities in Illinois and across the Midwest region, Advancing Justice-Chicago works with multiracial coalitions that emphasize racial equity, accountability to those most impacted, and an infrastructure of grassroots leadership. Current program areas focus on promoting racial, economic, and immigrant justice, including initiatives around Voting Rights, Language Access, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, and Education Equity.
- Provide legal support, strategy support, and capacity-building for local partners in voting rights advocacy and redistricting;
- Conduct and lead research and investigation in support of advocacy and litigation related to voting rights (e.g., election administration, language access, vote dilution, etc.) and redistricting;
- Provide litigation support–research pertinent legal issues, draft internal documents and court filings, collaborate with co-counsel, and provide other assistance as needed;
- Support efforts to improve and expand democracy initiatives alongside coalition partners, including affiliates and local partners (e.g., implementation of prior legislative victories, advocating for future policy changes, redistricting, coordination and analysis of volunteer poll-watching efforts, research, civic engagement, and organizing efforts);
- Work collaboratively with and support priorities of Advancing Justice-Chicago in the Midwest and in alignment with affiliation voting rights strategy;
- Provide other support for the Affiliation Voting Rights strategy team and affiliates.
- JD and admission/or pending admission to the bar of any state (other relevant graduate degrees may be considered);
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity, and civil rights;
- Experience working with or familiarity with Asian American communities, community organizations, or issues;
- Excellent legal research and drafting skills;
- Experience with legal and policy analysis;
- Interest in and familiarity with voting rights and/or redistricting;
- Familiarity or experience with policy advocacy, Census and data analysis, civic engagement or community organizing;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in coalitions;
- Experience as a trainer, leader or educator for diverse groups;
- Ability to communicate complex policy with multiple audiences, particularly grassroots community members;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Able to think strategically and balance competing priorities with grace and reason;
- Able and willing to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends; and,
- Able to work independently and values accountability.
- Self-starter with the ability to think creatively and prioritize multiple tasks;
- Team player and collaborator who enjoys working with colleagues of diverse backgrounds and experiences;
- Curious and active listener and enthusiastic relationship-builder;
- Interested or experienced in working in the Midwest;
- Familiarity with PACER, Excel, Clio; and,
- Bilingual skills in English and an Asian language are an asset.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, exempt temporary position. Compensation is based on Advancing Justice-ALC’s salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. Starting salary for a Staff Attorney is $70,000 per year. Terms of this position may be governed by the terms of a union contract. Advancing Justice-ALC offers a generous benefits package.
Application Process: Interested candidates should email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a resume;
- a cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications, and experience;
- a legal writing sample of your work (no more than 10 pages); and,
- three professional references.
Please submit materials in PDF format. Kindly write “Voting Rights Legal Fellow” in the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Advancing Justice–ALC and Advancing Justice-Chicago are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.