The hate aimed at Asian and Asian American communities is unacceptable. We stand in solidarity with the survivors, victims, and their families in demanding safety and accountability. At Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus (ALC), we are working intensively to address the root causes of anti-Asian hate in ways that lead to restorative justice and healing.
Since the start of the pandemic, there has been a sharp increase in anti-Asian violence and hate speech – bullying, racial epithets, anti-China rhetoric, harassment, and physical violence. The organization Stop AAPI Hate has documented 3800 incidents from March 19, 2020 to February 28, 2021.
Advancing Justice – ALC has joined with and convened API-led organizations across the Bay Area and the nation to call for immediate and long-term solutions to hate and violence.
- In California, we are working closely with California legislators to advocate for resources and investment in API communities, including community ambassador programs, access to victim’s compensation funds, and mental health support for victims. For example, we’re co-sponsoring AB 866 to fund culturally competent mental health service and restorative justice solutions for community members impacted by hate violence.
- We published a policy recommendations guide with other Asian American-serving organizations to provide forward-thinking and practical policy solutions to help policymakers, survivors, and allies address the violence against our communities.
- Nationally, we are convening an Asian American leaders table to provide rapid response support to partner organizations on the ground, from Georgia to New York to California. This group meets around the clock to anticipate future threats and respond, and provide the national infrastructure for deeper solidarity across racial justice and immigrant justice movements.
- As the country’s oldest legal aid organization serving Asian communities, we’re continuing our litigation efforts against the rising violence and hate and defending individuals in our communities against anti-Asian discrimination.
Even as we have all joined in mourning too many times during this pandemic year, we also are reminded every day of the power of our communities, families, and neighbors to demand action that builds a better, safer future for everyone.
We all have a role to play. Here’s what you and your networks can do to join in the movement to #StopAsianHate:
- Learn Intervention Skills: In partnership with Hollaback!, we are providing bystander intervention trainings to empower individuals with strategies to safely intervene in a moment of harassment. Thousands of people have already participated in a free training. Join us for our next community training on June 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM PST. Stay tuned for future training dates and registration information.
- Report Hate and Discrimination: We know that incidents of hate and violence against communities of color have historically gone under-reported. Help us collect testimonials to ensure there’s an accurate picture of the realities of hate in the US. Visit StandAgainstHatred.org to share stories and learn the basics of tracking hate. When incidents are reported to this resource, Advancing Justice – ALC and other organizations are able to monitor and address this discrimination. Follow the hashtag #ProtectAllPeople on Twitter to stay informed.
PR Week: Racism is a Virus, Not Asians
South Seattle Emerald: In the Face of Hate, Asian Americans Call for Solidarity with All People of Color
Business Insider: It is time that America takes Asian American policy concerns seriously
Questions about our Anti-Asian Racism work?
Contact: Paul Ocampo, Director of Development