Be a part of Advancing Justice – ALC’s long-running poll monitoring program and help protect democracy here in California.
When: Saturday, October 31st or Tuesday, November 3rd.
Where: Bay Area and the Central Valley
Volunteer poll monitors will travel to five polling sites during a four-hour shift. During your visits, you will check for language and disability access (e.g., translated materials), assist voters that are encountering problems, and ensure voter harassment and disenfranchisement do not occur. You will be extensively trained and equipped with the tools to resolve a wide variety of issues. Volunteer poll monitors will have access to a legal support hotline that will help in addressing and resolving problems you may encounter. To help with physical distancing, volunteers will be solo unless they sign up with a partner who is a member of their household ‘bubble.’
In order to best achieve our aims while ensuring the health and safety of our volunteers, voters, and poll workers, we ask that you do not volunteer if you, or anyone in your household, belongs to a population that is at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19, such as those who are 65+ or have additional underlying medical conditions.
- No experience necessary
- Legal and non-legal backgrounds welcome
- Basic English skills (limited English fluency is completely fine)
- No language skills beyond English are required, but we are especially seeking speakers of these languages – Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Filipino/Tagalog, Punjabi, and Hmong
- You do not have to be a US Citizen
- Access to a car is strongly preferred (Due to the ongoing pandemic, unfortunately there will be very limited shifts available for volunteers who cannot drive themselves.)
- Volunteers are eligible for a $100 stipend (Attorneys and law students exempted)
Time Commitment: In addition to a four-hour shift, volunteers should prepare to travel up to 90 minutes to their assigned polling places. Volunteers will also be asked to attend a 90-minute online training session prior to volunteering. ALC makes every effort to reduce travel time while still ensuring that coverage needs are met.